Frackers Conversion Done!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by The Crow, Nov 12, 2013.

1. The Crow

The Crow Administration FRACKERS TEAM ADMINISTRATOR

Step 1 of the Frackers conversion to xenForo is finally done. It took a bit more time than what I had expected, there were a few issues that had to be sorted during the importing of the tables. There's still a lot to do, some features aren't enabled yet; but basically, the forum is operational as it is right now.

Over the course of the next few days and weeks we'll be re-enabling most of the old features and we'll also have a lot of new ones. The forum software itself offers a lot of new features, although you might miss some others from vBulletin, either because they don't exist/aren't enabled yet or because they work differently and you need to figure them out. If you need help finding something or you can't figure out how something works, post here and let me know or send me a PM (private messages are now conversations btw).

Your same username/password will work, but if for some strange reason you can't login, send me an email to the.crow [at] ymail [dot] com and let me know about it, of course include your Frackers username.

If you have a problem with permissions, send me a PM and let me know exactly the problem you're having. I'll fix it for you ASAP.

I'm going to post a more in-depth thread later this week explaining the xenForo features and also how-to's of how some basic features work

Upcoming Changes

It's possible that before the weekend I'm going to move the forum to a new server. Our current server is too old and too expensive, we can get a much better one for less money. The reason I want to do this before the weekend is because our current billing cycle ends on Saturday, so I'd prefer to spend our money on a new server instead of paying for another month of the current one.

If we move to a new server we shouldn't have more than a few hours of downtime, we could probably be done in a single afternoon.

There are other changes to the forum and team structure that are planned, we'll give you more details about this once we are done setting up the new forum and server.

Once usergroups are setup properly, Premium and Gold members will be compensated with a few more days of membership for the extended downtime.

Thank you everyone for your support and patience during the process, once are done setting up the forum and implementing all the new features and changes, I'm sure you will all love this new phase of Frackers! :)

Back to work! ;)

- Frackers Administration

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Crow

Some links are broken when accessed from the forum home. This will get fixed once new posts or threads are added to those forums.

3. bubbes12

bubbes12 Frackers Elite CONTRIBUTOR

The new forum looks good, looking forward to the new changes made to the forum. Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Crow

Thanks. :)

New server acquired. I'll work on setting it up today and if there are no problems, tomorrow afternoon/night we'll make the move. We shouldn't have more than 3-4 hours of downtime, but because of DNS propagation some of you may experience a few more. Once we're settled there we'll post on Twitter ways to speed it up. ;)

5. bubbes12

That's good to hear, hopefully the new server won't go down as often as the previous server.

Cool, just realized there's trophy points now :D.

6. The Crow

LOL Yes, I'm not sure if they serve a purpose other than boosting egos, but we could probably do something else with them eventually. The previous (current) server didn't go down that much really, but we'd appear to be offline often because of CloudFlare. They have improved their service a lot lately and at least for me the last two or three months I didn't see the website offline errors again.

The new server is set up and working without any issues. I'll make a test xenForo installation there tonight and make sure everything works properly. And then tomorrow afternoon I'll begin moving Frackers there. ;)

7. bubbes12

Hm I was wondering, is there an option to have different sections of the forums (or thread) read without having to go into them? Like the "Mark as read" option

8. The Crow

I've never used those options, but there should be. At least inside threads and forums there's the 'Mark Forums Read' link on the top left of the navbar (under the logo):

[​IMG]

We should have the same option for threads, I'll look into this tomorrow morning. ;)

9. bubbes12

Ah there it is, thanks Crow