XenForo Conversion

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by The Crow, Nov 6, 2013.

1. The Crow

The Crow Administration FRACKERS TEAM ADMINISTRATOR

Some time within the next 48 hours I may begin the conversion of Frackers to xenForo. I finally have the time and the confidence (after having done test conversions and being fairly familiar with the new software) to do it. Sorry to let you know on such short notice; but since we also might migrate to a new server, I need to do this ASAP so we still have this current server available for a while in case we need it.

I've told you already the reason for wanting to make this move, it's not a decision made on a wimp or taken lightly, I've been thinking about this seriously for at least a year already. Basically, I'm not very confident about the future of vBulletin; on the other hand, I'm very happy with the development of xenForo, I've worked on it for several months already and I'm very impressed with it, I think you will all like it once we make the move... or not, but we can always switch back in case you all hate it. :D

In case I do begin making the conversion, the forum will be offline for up to 3 days for regular members (but hopefully less than 2), although for staff, premium and gold members the forum shouldn't be offline for more than a few hours, this will be when we migrate to the new server, during the conversion the forum will be available to these groups.

It's still possible that I either chicken out or postpone the conversion for whatever reason, if this happens I'll let you know and if I do go ahead with the conversion, I'll be posting updates in our Twitter account.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

-TC

• Like Like x 4
  2. raunchyrandy

raunchyrandy Moderator MODERATOR

Go for it Bro! If it meets your expectations............Great! if not, you stay here, no harm no foul!

rr

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Crow

The Crow Administration FRACKERS TEAM ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks. ;) I'm not unhappy with our vBulletin version actually, in fact since the CDN service we use got their act together, the forum has been running faster than ever (at least on my end). But I'm just thinking ahead, it seems vBulletin 4 won't be developed anymore and I hate vBulletin 5. Not to mention the fact that they have made some really worrying mistakes security wise lately, long story short, I don't trust the company behind vBulletin anymore.

I wanted to start the conversion yesterday, but I'm still undecided on the new server we'll get and also the setup we'll use with it. Hopefully I'll figure this out tonight and tomorrow I'll start working on it, although it's possible I'll wait until monday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raylan

Raylan Administration FRACKERS TEAM ADMINISTRATOR

Xenforo has a more modern look & feel and I've heard it's lighter on the server side as well. I have nothing against Vbulletin but I prefer Xenforo these days. Good luck with the move, if you need any help tweaking the server let me know. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dummy

Dummy Frackers Sponsor SPONSOR

Testing!